Monday, September 24, 2007

I feel like I just got a medal...

Retired mil-spouse co-worker: So I hear your husband is TDY?

Me: Yep. He's off doing xyz at ABC Base.

Co-worker: Oh. How long is he gone for?

Me: Only six weeks.

Co-worker: *laughs* You can always tell when you've been in awhile. You say things like "Only six weeks."

*long pause*

Me: Actually, we've only been married three months.

*long pause*

Co-worker: Well, bless your heart!

I'm glad I come off so nonchalant. I don't feel that way. I've been jumping in with both feet, trying to meet other people, get involved in the spouse group stuff for Einstein's squadron, working, job-hunting, trying to decide how much I actually want to work, obsessing about job interviews, weighing the merits of an enjoyable job vs. one that pays more and is better professionally, trying to hang curtains by myself, etc. Which means I've been busy. It also means that my biggest wish is that Einstein would come home, hug me and say "Stop stressing out! Let's get ice cream!" Which is what he would say, if he were home.

But a compliment from a coworker will work, in the interim.

No comments: