Sunday, November 2, 2008

Best Patron Interaction EVER

Earlier this week an incredibly cute child came into the library looking for Curious George books. I am a huge fan of C. George; seriously, my love knows no bounds. So I was happy to show this little guy (four years old, I'm guessing) where "George" hangs out in the library.

He was ecstatic. He couldn't believe how many Curious George books we had. His dad patiently helped him select six of them, which he then walked over to the youth desk (one book at a time) to show me. I grabbed some of the Curious George stickers I had in my office to give to him; he gave three to his dad for safekeeping and carefully applied the fourth one to his shirt. Then he turned to me, and with true devotion on his face, said:

"You turned my shirt into a Curious George shirt. Thank you!"

Then, as they walked out the door, I overheard this conversation:

Dad: These librarians sure are nice, aren't they?

Little Boy: Yeah!

Dad: Do you like the library?

Little Boy: OH YES!

And that, my friends, is why I love my job.

3 comments:

Ana said...

I just wanted to say, this post made me laugh. My little guy (almost four) just made the discovery that we have Curious George in our library. He managed to find every book on tape they have all on his own. Sadly, we have no children's librarian, but it'd be nice to have someone like you hanging out there for our kids.

loqi said...

I can just picture this whole scenario -- sounds a lot like me as a kid. But I would've been too shy to come ask you myself, I would've been doing the "behind mom's leg but peeking out at you" thing. :)

New Girl on Post said...

I too love Curious George! What a great interaction with the little boy. I'm sure he'll have a good association with the library because of you.