Sunday, December 12, 2010

Semester's End

Twas the night before semester break and all through the library, not a creature was stirring, not even a grad student;
The books were piled in the book drops with care,
In hopes that the professors the papers would soon grade with care.
The undergrads were all snug in their beds, with visions of A's dancing in their heads.
And my staff in their exhaustion, and I in my fatigue were ready to settle in for a long winter's nap.

When out on the campus green there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore through the security gate and threw up the door locks.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature book truck and eight tiny shelvers!
With a little old classification system, so lively and quick, that I knew in a moment, it must be LC!
More rapid than eagles, the shelvers they shelved!
"Now, D, E, F (history) and HG (social work)!
To the top shelf and bottom, to fit all the books in!"

Down the staff elevator they came, with book trucks near to empty
and found book drops overflowing with books, like water in the sea.
Their hopes to be done soon were tarnished and moot,
but the continued on shelving by hand and by foot.

And soon they found all the books put away, and they journeyed off at the end of the day.
And as I locked up for the break, I could be heard to say:
"Happy Semester Break to all, and to all a good night!"

**With thanks and apologies to Clement Clark Moore

No comments: